Friday, January 22, 2010

22/365 *IMPORTANT*


Today I am thankful that my kids are home and safe. I am hugging them a little bit more tight and kissing them a few more times today.

This is an important post, so please read!! Yesterday a family in my neighborhood lost their 3 year old in a tragic accident. It happens to be a neighbor of a friend of ours and so when he sent a message out about it I was sick because I had seen the ambulance and police rushing to the neighborhood. What happened was the mom put the 3 yr old to bed at 2 and went to wake them up at 4 and found the sweet baby hanging from the blind cord. My heart sank. I cant even imagine what this family is going through but I know it has to be more than horrible. And to think that it was a preventable death will I'm sure haunt that poor mom and family forever. Here is my message, and I was lucky enough to have watched an Oprah show about this exact accident which kills a large number of kids every year.
You HAVE to cut the cords on your blinds.. you have to do it right now! It is so easy, I do it to all of mine, I cut them as short as possible so they are completely out of reach, then when the blinds are pulled up I make sure the cord is up and out of reach. I cant stress enough how important it is that you make sure this is done. Also keep your kids beds away from the window where they can grab the cords. I am hoping with this post that all of you go take care of this so your family doesn't have to go through what this poor family is. I keep thinking, if only this mom had watched that show that I did a few years ago. Breaks my heart. Please pray for this family.
Another important thing weighing heavy on my mind this week (also from watching Oprah) is texting and driving. You must NEVER do it again NEVER. Did you know that while you are looking at your phone you are 4 times more likely to get into an accident. That is the same equivalent of a heavily intoxicated driver. Would you drink and drive NO so don't text and drive. Thankfully there are a lot of States that are recognizing this danger because so many deaths are occurring because of this.
Now I'm not perfect, I have done it before but 1 day I was driving behind a woman who was ALL over the road she was in the completely wrong lane and almost crashed head on with another car driving the other way, I called the cops and followed her to the highway where I pulled up next to her to get her attention (while I'm on the phone with 911) and she was texting, she never noticed me and continued to drive while staring at her phone.. I thought this woman had to of been so drunk and she wasn't, she was in a good texting match. I was sickened! From that day on I leave my phone in my purse, in the back seat so that I am not tempted to check it while I am driving. I am lucky enough to have a system in my car that if it rings it goes right to the car and I can hands free talk. I also have a son who is a great texter if I need to respond to someone!
Please it is not worth it, nothing is so important to put your kids or other kids, wives, husbands, sisters or brothers in danger. Pull over or wait until you are stopped!! I have been pretty emotional about all of this. I really hope that you all listen and fix your blinds and never text and drive again.
Now after a heavy post I get to go get ready for a girls night!! I hope you all have a great weekend... after you fix your blinds!
LOVE
Malia is a iphone pro.. she can open that sucker and start playing games!
so. dang. sweet!!





I got my new flash today so I had to quickly test it out... much to learn!






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, it is so heartbreaking. I heard about it on facebook from one of my friends who goes to church with them (the church I went to all through high school). Just awful.

alison said...

That is just awful! My heart goes out to them. Maybe its good that my kids don't like taking naps.

tamiz said...

You know I fixed my blinds on the while we were on the phone. I promise to not text and drive (anymore). Have fun on your GNO and let me know if the fix the ending. Malia looks at least 5 in the pics with the phone on her ear! Wishing you a good shoot tomorrow!

tamiz said...

I should have edited my last comment before I submitted it.

Haley L said...

I have been sick all day about the tragedy. Thanks for the reminders. Life is a gift.

shelly said...

That is so, so sad! I saw the flight-for-life at the school and wondered what was going on...my thoughts and prayers are with that family.

And as for the texting and cell phones, Shawn has seen so many accidents and tragedies caused because of those! I agree, please, please put your phones away when you are in the car!!

Tirsa said...

I have been sick for that family as well. Thank you for the heartfelt reminder of what we can all do to keep those we love safer. I hope people are diligent and pay attention to this post.