Thursday, May 1, 2008

Conquer fear... CHECK!

So yep Im pretty excited and pleased with myself! I totally conquered a fear of mine on Tuesday, something Ive been putting off for oooo 10 years or so. Yep thats right the dentist! I know I KNOW its disgusting its unbelievable but yes it gets worse! Its really almost been more like 20 years since Ive had a check up and cleaning, I just say 10 because thats how long Ive been responsible for myself.
My mom quit taking us to the dentist when I was between 8-10 I think. Im not sure why but it kinda quit being important. I had never had a cavity and I had always loved going because I was so proud of myself for that. Well once I was of age and responsible for myself I had a kid right away. I was more and more terrified of going to the dentist as the time went on just knowing the dentist would be disgusted with my teeth and let me hear all about it.
So about 2 or so years ago I was eating some chicken when all of a sudden there was crunching in my mouth I thought ewww a bone ummm NOPE my tooth! One of my teeth had fallen apart. I had to get a root canal and to get that done I had some medication!! Well I knew then that my mouth for sure my teeth were horrible and so I still couldnt bring myself to make that call. Well my kids go regularly and we have found a great dentist and so while the kids were getting their check up on Monday I happened to mention that I needed to get in and she said O well we can get you in tomorrow........Ummm think excuse excuse what can I say??? Nothing I had Nothing so I made the appt and all Tuesday morning I was sick to my stomach and kept thinking O I can call in and change it. Well I showed up and guess what it wasnt so bad!! I do need 4 fillings which Im sure next week I will be freaking about but they said that for a few years of not seeing the dentist my teeth looked really good LOL ummm people its more like 20 not 3 but thanks! So now with a clean mouth and some whitening on the way Im feeling better about my mouth. So Ive done it, now what fears do ya'll have that you might conquer?


*Sorry about the close up but here it is kinda scary sorry

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you are saying! There are 2 things that I wish I could change about myself and one of them is my teeth! I hate them! You were so brave to go to the dentist after that long. Your teeth look great!

Elizabeth said...

yeah for you!! I am so proud of you!! I am just sad I didn't get to clean them! :) LOL...way to go Kris!! I am sure the fillings won't be so bad...:)

Brandie Lyon said...

Don't worry! Once they give you the shot to numb it, you won't feel anything.

Eldrberry Grove said...

I got you beat Kris it was 14 years for me...it wasn't cuz I was scared we just never had dental insurance growing up so I didn't get around to it til after I was married and had decent insurance. And the dentist thought I had always been going cuz I didn't have any cavities ha ha my ploy worked! :)

Jolayne said...

There's nothing like the feeling of clean teeth. Sadly it doesn't last very long. Looking good.

Sharon said...

I hate the dentist! I took Valium the last time I went! LOL
Congrats!