Sunday, October 5, 2008

Preparring for her homecoming Sunday update

Surreal is the word I was use right now, also anxious and anxiety, butterflies and excitement. Its been such a rolercoaster of a journey and to realize how close we are now just 4 days is almost unbelievable. Throughout this last 18ish months I have had a hard time sleeping. When things seemed close I couldnt sleep and when things werent looking so great I couldnt sleep. Right now I am getting ok sleep I usually fall asleep around 12-1 and then Ive been waking up at 5 which is actually an improvement!! I just cant wait until I am awake at those hours for good reason. I will be thinking about Malia and all that is about to change and realize I am awake and toss and turn trying to convince myself to sleep but I eventually look at the clock and then its over.
We are enjoying our time together as a family right now. We went out to dinner on Friday and let the kids stay up late last night for the fun of it... then they were able to sleep in until 8!! I have been doing lots of last minute cleaning around the house to prepare for Miss Malia. I have cleaned the fans, had the carpet cleaned, cleaned baseboards and walls, under the couches, cupboards. These next few days I will keep myself busy with the same type of thing. I need to clean the fridge and some closets. Today Ive been cleaning every ones bedding. Im trying to do everything I can now that I know I wont get to for awhile.
Last night we had the Zimmies over and Jude did a good job helping me baby proof the house!! I think we are pretty set! When I really allow my brain to slow down and just think that in a few days I will be able to hold my baby I get butterflies and get very anxious. I think it is in a good way but I also am nervous. Being our first adoption and that she is 1 years old (tomorrow) we have no idea what to expect. We have read and read and took classes and done just about everything I think we could to be prepared but every child is different. So I picture her homecoming 2 different ways. 1-she gets put in my arms looks up smiles and puts her hand on my face.. 2- she SCREAMS and trys to push off of me. Im betting on the later and I am prepared mentally for that. I am praying to be in touch with her emotions and feelings so that I can give her the comfort that she needs. I just want to be able to help her. I want her to feel comfortable with us. I know it will take time yes it could be a long time, but Im hoping with blessings and prayers that she will know our hearts and that we will know hers and this adjustment will go fairly smooth.
We appreciate all the well wishes and congrats that we have been given. Seeing every ones excitement for us and for Malia has been very humbling. I will never be able to say thank you enough. After Thursday Im not sure how often I will be updating but Im hoping to keep up my Sunday updates at least. Who knows maybe she will be one heck of a sleeper and I will be able to share all the time still!!
The kids are super excited and I feel like they are very prepared also. They have handled all of this so well and I am so proud of them. They really love love Malia so much. I cant wait to see them all interact. I think it will be something really special to witness.
Well Im sure I will add some mumblings of excitement during this countdown!

4 comments:

The Wiggintons said...

I can't wait to see homecoming pictures! I'll be praying for you this week...

Kristy

Haley L said...

It's so hard to believe this is the last Sunday update before she's home. As the Sundays rolled by in months past, I know it seemed like the last one would never come. You have showed incredible patience. I know you've prepared for the worst, but I am optimistic that the transition will be smooth. See you Thursday!

Blaine and Tirsa said...

O.K. Can you say NESTING??? All of that cleaning, you are for sure nesting. I did it too...so it isn't just pregnant women that get that urge right before the baby comes.

I just KNOW that Malia is going to love you...probably not instantly...but that is a good sign. You don't want her to want to go to just anyone. But, after a day or two, she is going to know that you are her mom and I bet she won't let you out of her sight!

I am so excited for you guys and I can't wait for Thursday!

Brigit said...

We can't wait!! If you need to stay busy before she comes, feel free to bring some of that nesting/cleaning over my way!