Sunday, November 2, 2008

A fun full week Sunday update


We had a very busy week and Malia had a big week of some fun firsts! O and some not so fun firsts. This week I took Malia to her first check up with the doctor. It actually went really well other than I wanted to smack the nurse... but first some stats! Malia is still weighing 20 lbs but has gotten taller, now 29 inches! She is in the 20th percentile for weight and 40 for height. They doctor was really impressed with the care she had gotten and didnt have any concerns! NOW right away I didnt like this new nurse, she wasnt very friendly but whatever, when she went to weigh Malia I put her on the scale and she saw Malias Mongolian spot on her arm and gasped and said O MY GOSH what happened to her... well being a nurse yes ask but geesh have you never seen one before and can you be a little more tact full? Anyways I explained and we moved on.... later after waiting 20 minutes for Malias 4 shots while she chatted in the hallway she finally came in had Malia sit on my lap while she gave her the shots very slowly, of course Malia was screaming and when she was done the freaking nurse GRABBED her off my lap and started trying to comfort her I WAS PISSED and so mad that I didnt stand up for Malia and myself and stop her. I just stood there with my hands out SHOCKED by what she had done. I have never had a nurse do that, Im not sure if she does this with all babies or if Malia was special but hello we are working on bonding and crying after shots was a HUGE thing for me, something I had been stressed about and prayed and prayed that I IIII ME the MOM would be able to comfort her after!! GRRRR Anyways Im still ticked and it even kept me up in the middle of the night, I need to tell the doctor to give her some education on adopted babies but Ive been being a chicken. Anyways that was that and Im so glad that she is healthy and happy!!
Of course Malia had her first Halloween this week, I think she loved it, she had fun being carried around and loved her soft costume! She was super cute!! Then yesterday we went on our first family bike ride since shes been home, I think she loved that too. We also discovered this week that Malia loves hats, Kadens baseball hats, Maddies helmet, whatever she doesnt care she just wants it on her head! Too cute! So I had fun today putting one of her super cute knitted hats on her, and she left it on for a long time! Also in the photos youll see that baby girl LOVES paper, she will chew on her books, baby wipes and yes magazines. She was loving on a cooking one today and was walking around chasing Rich to get it back, I was cracking up. So yes that means she is walking more and more and getting braver and braver with her walking.
I wanted to educate a little in this post about Malias Mongolian spot, I have had a few comments that as a mommy are irritating but at the same time I understand the comments though I have always been one to think about words before I say them. Malia has Mongolian spots on her shoulders and on her bumm. They are dark marks, and on her arm it is especially dark in one spot and does look like a bruise. These are very common with Asians, its pretty much a birth mark that will most likely fade as she gets older. I am hoping that people will stop gasping and asking what happened to her, as she gets older I dont want her to be ashamed or self conscious of her beauty marks! I also have gotten twice asked the question if I am babysitting Malia, once by an adult that I didnt know and once by a kid at the school... I will have to learn how not to be annoyed by this but just answer and move on!
So we had a great week. I cant believe its going to be 4 weeks this week already. She is still such an easy sweet baby and is just growing more and more close to us and giving us herself. Shes the best! And we are one big happy family. I also have to say how proud I am of Kaden and Maddie for also adjusting so well and loving their sis so easily and sweetly.

4 comments:

Haley L said...

I promise not all nurses are that stupid. What an idiot. :( The next time someone asks you if you are babysitting, say, "Yes . . forever." :)

Kris said...

I know your pain girl...Bryce has a mongolian spot on his booty too. It has faded a bit but I had to educate all my family members and others too because they were so "concerned" about it. Having these babies of different races in our lives is such a blessing but I guess you just have to let the rude questions and comments roll off your back. It took a little while for me!

Jolayne said...

Aren't you grateful you can say, "Nope. She's mine. All mine."

Melissa said...

Wow! I cannot imagine a nurse taking a baby away from their mommy to comfort them (adopted or not)!!