Friday, February 8, 2008

Year of the Rat

So usually a rat would freak me out, that being said this year will be the year of the rat and my daughter may be born this year so I will celebrate the rat! Tet is the Vietnamese New Years Celebration. It is a celebration that for most spans 7-10 days. They start preparring early by cleaning the house and even painting it. It seems to be a lot about getting rid of the old and in with the new and hoping for a great year of good luck. They surround themselves with family and friends and make sure that 1 certain day is filled with only good as to not bring bad luck into the new lunar year.
I am excited to be able to add one more holiday on my calendar. We are planning on celebrating somehow, we just arent sure exactly how yet! I think I will maybe make an easy Vietnamese dinner and discuss with the kids what Tet is all about. I think next year will even be more exciting getting to celebrate with Malia and start her on a path of knowing all about her culture and background (which means I have to learn to).
I may have to follow some of the traditions they have to ward off evil since in the last 2 weeks our house has been a sick one starting with Kaden and ending with Maddie. So if you see a new Cay Neu tree in the yard for 7 days or even a Hoa Mai, dont think much of it!
O arent I fancy knowing these things right! I am really looking forward to finding some beautiful
Ao Dai's for the girls while we are in Vietnam and hopefully they will get to wear them on special days like Tet. So while Im excited for Tet I am very excited for it to be over so our Dossier can get logged and hopefully referrals will move foreward!

4 comments:

Tirsa said...

I think that is so great to incorporate Vietnamese traditions and holidays into your lives. How enriching to learn about another culture and bring it to your home and to let Malia know how much you value where she comes from and her heritage. Also, Annette brought Bella home one of those little outfits from Vietnam. It is sooooo stinkin cute. If you want Maddie to borrow it for you celebration, let me know.

tamiz said...

You could make that lovely Year of the Rat cake that you sent me the pic. of... HURL! You should celebrate Tet to help take your mind off how long Thuy is not working!

Eldrberry Grove said...

That is so awesome that you are learning about all that stuff for Malia. She is gonna be one lucky girl with you guys! :)

Erica said...

I just love how you have taken the time to learn about the Vietnam traditions and want to use them. This little girl is coming to a special family!!