Monday, February 25, 2008

A Healthy Kick

Well I have decided to try to get my family to eat a little more healthy. Its not that we eat out a lot or even that we eat totally unhealthy its just that we dont eat as healthy as we could.
I think that especially when it comes to snacks I have had a hard time finding healthy snacks that my kids will eat. They both have peanut allergies so a lot of the "healthy" snacks have traces of peanuts. So Im at a little of a loss as what to get because lets face it every time they want a snack (especially Maddie who is my grazer) Im not going to run to the kitchen to make something.
We always have fruit in the fridge but I also always end up throwing it out because it doesnt get eaten and I know that is my fault for not pushing it but I cant eat fruit or veggies so I think its kinda out of sight out of mind.... also a fruit snack in the cubboard is sooo much easier.
So I have bought new fruits and veggies and Im really hoping to try and do better at this healthy thing.
Last night I even made fish EWWWW but it actually turned out pretty good (even without the tartar sauce).
Any of you have any great healthy snack ideas for me???

5 comments:

Jolayne said...

My kids love smoothies. You can add a lot of fruit to those.

Kelly said...

I give Lucy fruit, rice cakes, cereal bars, and granola bars for snack. Luckily for me, she will eat up all of the fruit before it goes bad. She is a terrible eater, but when it comes to fruit, she will go to town.

Thanks for the kind comments on my blog!

Haley L said...

This is a tough subject, but one that is near and dear to my heart. :) My experience has been that I do better when I serve fruits and veggies with meals (i.e. sliced banana or strawberries on cereal or carrots and dressing to dip in with lunch) and then try for healthy snacks, but not necessarily fruits or veggies. I have used this list forever and it's my gold standard healthy snack list! http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/0_quick-and-healthy-snacks-for-kids_66905.pc

Tirsa said...

I buy those baby carrots in the snack packs and Bella loves to get her own pack of carrots to eat. Also, popcorn is a good snack...lots of fiber.

Jeff and Valerie said...

We do a lot of fruit cups, apple slices, grapes and berries. We did buy the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook that gives you recipes that hide veggies ... not that you may need to hide ... but we do. Anyhow the puree'ing takes a bit of time, but well worth it.